Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's all coming together

My official, narrowed down research topic are the reasons for college tuition increases. I discuss ways from payroll to campus extravagance as reasons for tuition increases.

My intended audience is college students. I am also including their parents because they have to provide their financial information for the FAFSA form. Parents must provide their information on the FAFSA to help their child get financial aid, even if they do not support their child financially, until their child turns 24. I think this is my biggest frustration. I can prove that my parents do not support me financially, nor do they provide a place for me to live, but I still have to use their salaries to determine financial aid status.

I. Introduction:
A. College tuition increases every year.
B. With money available to students, there are ways to help them pay for their future.
C. Prices are in constant flux.
Thesis:
Necessity and tradition dictate the norms that dominate higher education; higher fees indicate business as usual, which isn’t about to change.

Body:
A. College tuition is a monopoly.
B. Are hikes acceptable?
C. Looking at increasing tuition bills scare many-what causes tuition to increase?
a. Payroll
b. Campus Extras
c. Pastimes
D. Who is impacted by increasing tuition
E. Scholarships
F. Extraordinary people without degrees
G. How some colleges used to determine “financial aid”

Conclusion:
Tuition is based on standards of convenience and preference.

My outline is working pretty well for me this far, as I am almost half way through my paper. It took me a while to come up with an outline, but once it was completed, I was able to breeze through a rough draft of my paper. So far, I am extremely satisfied with the beginning draft. For once, I am actually anticipating group workshop next week, rather than completely dreading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment